So…you might’ve noticed, things have been a little quiet here for at least a week, following after what seemed to be a nice pace of arm extension construction and working away on other tasks. There’s a pretty good reason, really, and not just a reason I’m trying to pass off as a good one.
Valentine’s Day this year started out with smoke detectors going off at 4am. Don’t worry, it’s not as bad as it could have been. Everyone got out fine and there was remarkably little damage, considering where the fire happened. I say that, of course, with the understanding that it was still a fire. Robert’s garage/work space is currently empty and soot-marked (which would actually be a perfect place to take pictures of Maggie’s Silent Hill nurse costume, but she’s out of town for a bit). My arm extensions were actually quite lucky – they survived the fire just fine, with just a fine layer of soot covering them. Of course, they’ll probably smell like burnt plastic for some time, but they’re in one piece (or, rather, the one extension that Robert and I put together is in one piece – the other one is still awaiting construction). My only casualty was the one tool I brought over to Robert’s work space. A lonely coping saw. I don’t think it’s coping all that well right now.
The weekend after the fire found me at my neighborhood Ace Hardware, picking up a basket full of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms, which I then enlisted Robert’s help in installing throughout my own house. Paranoid? I prefer to think “prepared.”
So, in the meantime, I’ve been working on a couple of other things in my own basement. I’ve gone through and done some alterations that have been sitting about for a bit. I made a shirt. And I organized the main shelf in my sewing nook.
That’s right, folks. I, the queen of the messy sewing corner, have organized my space! There are bins and tins and boxes and cubbyholes and all sorts of good things. Honestly, much of the mess I cleaned out of the shelves weren’t even mine, and had nothing to do with sewing or prop-making. They were just things that had found a not-so-temporary home on one of my shelves. There’s still a little more work to do on the one big bookcase, but most of it looks nice and neat now. I’ve started eyeing the surrounding bookshelves, with plans to put the boxes of patterns in a more organized place, instead of balanced precariously on the top shelf of the main bookcase.
With any luck, the sewing corner will be finished tonight (while I watch Face Off, between bouts of transcribing interviews for work), and costume construction can begin again in earnest in a few days.