What to do, what to do?

Obligatory adorable kitty picture - from a random day when Raven and Alvin were getting along

Obligatory adorable kitty picture – from a random day when Raven and Alvin were getting along

With the recent addition of my new (albeit fledgling) skills in knitting, I have encountered a problem. Well, to be fair, the problem was there before. Throwing knitting into the mix just exacerbated the problem.

What problem is that, you ask? Backlog.

WIP/UFO backlog, to be exact. (“Work in Progress” and “Unfinished Objects” for those of us joining without a background in these terms). Between knitting, crochet, spinning, and sewing (which can be broken down further into quilting, clothes, embroidery, and assorted crafts), plus the odd costume fabrication…I may have a bit of a problem. Add in, of course, a handful of around-the-house renovation/repair tasks and the soon-to-be-here springtime gardening, and my to-do list is looking a bit full.

I actually really like things to be fairly orderly (despite what my mother might think), so the state of my workspace and to-do list is making me anxious. To justify adding knitting to my list of skills, I needed to start whittling down my list of WIPs.

First up was a shirt that had been in my pile for much longer than it should have been. I had purchased a lovely light green chambray from Stitch last Fall, with the intention of making Robert another dress shirt. I’d had delightful luck with Vogue 8889 – so much that I traced out a copy of the shirt pattern in Robert’s sizing on parchment paper, so I don’t have to fiddle with the multi-size pieces. I decided, since it went together so well the first time, I would see if I could repeat my success. I cut everything out…and then the project stalled.

In all fairness to myself, I initially stopped working on it because I threw my back out pretty seriously (I think that bending over the table had actually contributed to the problem, but getting a new mattress and making more frequent visits to my chiropractor improved things). I’ve been feeling better for a bit now, but the pieces were still just hanging out in a corner of my shelving, taking up space. Until Sunday night, that is.

Sawtooth quilt that will, one day, be finished

Sawtooth quilt that will, one day, be finished

After a brief search through the pattern bins to find the instructions – I forgot I had put the envelope into the folder with Robert’s pattern pieces – I sat down and finished transferring the sewing marks onto the fabric in chalk. I searched through my assorted thread bins for the right kind of thread, finally opting for a cream thread for the seams and an olive-y green for the top stitching. Both of the spools came from the “donated to Meg” collection that I have inherited from the sewing rooms of friends’ family members.

Alvin's to-do list mostly includes staring at birds and begging for food, with the occasional item of mischief.

Alvin’s to-do list mostly includes staring at birds and begging for food, with the occasional item of mischief.

I feel like most of this project went together a lot faster than the original shirt – probably because I had already made one, and didn’t have to refer back to the written instructions as much…though I don’t know if the sleeve plackets will ever get easier. And don’t get me started on sewing a flat-felled seam in a narrow men’s sleeve. ::heavy sigh::

Soon, it will be time to sew on the buttons, and then I can move on to the next couple things on my to-do list:

  • Oakley slouch hat (crochet) in “Mermaid Musings” colorway, from A Treehugger’s Wife Yarn – halfway finished
  • Lizard shawl (crochet) – need about three more repeats and blocking
  • Caterpillar Mitts (knitting) – about 75% finished
  • Nessie (crochet) – this one is sad…it only needs the legs sewn on and it’s done!
  • Lost Souls shawl (crochet) – this would have been done long ago, but it is currently in a box in the storeroom, sitting under three other boxes
  • Multiplicity Buttoned scarf (crochet) – only needs blocking and the buttons, which I have pulled from stash, but I can’t find the daggone left-over yarn to sew them on!
  • pattern weights – I’ve got about twelve of them done, but I have at least fifteen more that need to be filled and sewn up
  • woodblock/Irish chain quilt
  • sawtooth quilt
  • super-secret-almost-finished restoration project
  • alpaca fleece – halfway finished with combing, have started spinning
  • Shetland ram lamb fleece – 1/8 finished with combing
  • Spinning: By the Sea colorway from Avalon Springs Farms
  • several items in the mending bin

I’m not allowed to start any new projects until I have worked on at least six of these, and finished two.

Update: Since first drafting this, I have, in fact, finished sewing the legs on Nessie.20170124_224948

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s