I have begun working on gifts for Handmade Christmas 2017. This is undoubtedly the earliest I have ever started working on a Christmas present – even counting the quilt I made for Robert that took half a year. I always get so backed up with crafting projects in the weeks right before Christmas – which I’m sure is no surprise to fellow Christmas crafters – and the rush takes a lot of the fun out of making something handmade for someone. Not only do I usually have to contend with more mistakes, I don’t get to revel in the joy of watching something slowly take shape. Instead, it’s all hurry-hurry-hurry.
One of the added benefits of starting this early is…I have time to get extra yarn if I happen to run out partway through a project. I started knitting a simple cowl the other day. When I first cast on the stitches I thought “Hmm…that might be too many,” but I kept going. As I went forward, I fell more and more in love with the way the chainplied yarn created stripes of pink and purple, in the midst of the green (the colorway is “Irish Moss,” from Hobbledehoy Yarns). Unfortunately, I’m about 2 oz. short of the amount I need to finish the cowl at this width. I messaged Hobbledehoy on Facebook about seeing if she has more roving in that colorway, only to find that it had been a dye pot experiment. She said she could try to recreate it if I have pictures…which I have of the spun skein and the project in the works, but not of the unspun roving. [Note to self: remember to photograph the roving before spinning it up!] She’s scheduled to sell at the Fiber Farmers Market in Falls Church at the end of March, so here’s hoping the reconstruction of the dye pot works out, and I can finish the cowl as planned. If not, I have to frog the whole thing and start over.
Setting that project aside, I pulled out another couple of skeins from my handspun stash. A couple of months ago, I had purchased a 6oz braid from Fat Cat Knits in the colorway “Indian Corn.” I divided it up into three bits and did a traditional 3-ply, ending up with a worsted weight. It wasn’t the most even spin I have made, but I actually find it harder to spin for the thicker weights, so I’m okay with it not being as smooth, if I can at least manage a little heavier weight.
I came across the “Across the Heath” cowl pattern on Ravelry and just knew it was the perfect pattern for some of my handspun – something simple enough to allow for both my beginner knitting skills as well as the color variations in the yarn.
The pattern worked up pretty quickly, and I liked the twisty look of it…but I think it would look even better with a variegated yarn where the color shifts are more muted. [Robert tried on the cowl later in the week and ended up wearing it for about three hours, so I guess it is comfy and cozy.]
I had a lot of yarn left, so I cast on a bunch of stitches and made up another simple cowl. I made it pretty big and still have a little bit of yarn left that I might try to make some mitts out of. Looks like 6oz. is the perfect amount for me to spin for a project.