Do you ever have one of those projects that is supposed to be easy, but ends up becoming so much more trouble than you originally anticipated?
That’s what I’m struggling with now.
I’ve started work on this year’s Handmade Christmas (yes, already). One of the items requires a little bit more brain power — I have a problem keeping numbers in the proper order, and not saying one number when I mean another, so counting is fraught with all kinds of worries — and it quickly became evident that I was going to need another project (in the same medium) that fell under the “easy” category. That way, after I had spent 15 minutes holding my body very tensely as I carefully kept count (and got used to a new technique), I could switch to something easy and mindless for a little while. Back and forth, back and forth…it was a great plan.
Or so I thought.
Fast forward to a week later, and I’ve had to frog the “easy” project three. Damn. Times. The last time, I was almost finished with the dang thing, when I stopped and really looked at what I had made, and realized it was far too small and, somewhere in the directions, I had gone horribly astray.
I fixed it, and it’s already looking much better — which it should, considering I’m doing it correctly now. Fingers crossed that will be the last big issue with this project…aside from the fact that I have now, ironically, run out of the brown stash yarn that I was trying to use up and have had to order another skein…which should be here in a few days.
In the meantime, the original “difficult” project has been flying off the needles. Go figure.